[Interest] QNetwork classes for submitting google forms

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Sun Jun 13 21:23:58 CEST 2021

On 6/13/2021 1:08 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> That was a toy example application. Most applications will post in event to
> something happening, so the event loop has already started.

But we weren't discussing "most applications."  The OP asked how to
handle a network request and presented an MRE.  Or are you saying I
should have written a full app for them?  Are you like this on
StackOverflow also?

> In the particular you need app.exec().

You mean like my second working example? I appreciate your pointing out
my mistake (several hours after I corrected it) and the general warning
about sleeping, but now the horse is already dead.

>>> Don't use processEvents(). That's only slightly less evil than sleep().
>>
>> Maybe you could expand on that further instead of just making blanket
>> statements?  Reference?
>
> The reference is the source code.

Huh? In the source code somewhere it says "don't use processEvents()?"
Seems maybe that belongs in the docs... :)  I understand what it means
to read the source to see how something works, but I'm not sure how that
applies here.

> QEventLoop calls processEvents for you, but it also reacts to quit() and other
> event-interruption mechanisms, as well as interrupt-prevention mechanisms. If
> you call processEvents() on your own, you have to provide your own mechanism.
> Many an application got stuck calling processEvents() after being asked to
> exit that loop.
>
> If you think you need to exclude UI events, you're wrong.
>
> If you think you want to process a limited number of events (especially "just
> one"), you're wrong.

Thanks for elaborating. So the actual answer/advice is to use
processEvents() _correctly_ (or QEventLoop which "autmagically" does the
"right thing" for you... read its the code to see what that is). Which
is certainly a valid point.  I will amend any future mention if it with
a big *"when used correctly" footnote instead of assuming that someone
would already do that in the first place.

Is the condescending tone really necessary to get your point across?

Regards,
-Max