[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience methods (was: Mixing Commercial and Open...)

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun Mar 21 14:22:45 CET 2021

On 3/21/21 7:42 AM, Jason H wrote:
>> Sent: Friday, March 19, 2021 at 4:07 PM
>> From: "Roland Hughes" <roland at logikalsolutions.com>
>> Licensing FUD + death-of-perpetual-license + death-of-OpenSource-LTS +
>> Qt-6-rolling-out-incomplete + deleted-convenience-methods =
>> customers-leaving
>>
> I find myself agreeing with Roland here. The rollout of the core modules if KDE without the rest was a disaster and I was shocked, disappointed, and perplexed as to why anyone would do it.  So there is Qt6? No one I know is targeting it. Way to make all that work irrelevant, or at least less relevant than a Qt 5.16 release would have been. (Binary/API promises aside)
>
> I'm really dismayed and confused as anyone would repeat the rollout of KDE. Xfce and GNOME are crushing KDE, and I attribute that to the way they rolled it out. In this day to not have multimedia a part of that... Just wow... The older and stable modules I could understand, QtSQL? Sure. But it creates an idea of "it's not ready yet" so no one targets it.  I anticipate that 5.15 will require a doubly long LTS period as a result.

I don't know if it is current or not, but the KDE Manjaro has is really
nice. They don't stick you with the really bad KDE packages either, like
Calligra and KMail either. Apologies to our resident KMail fan.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=manjaro

I don't use it to watch streaming video though. It even handles multiple
monitors correctly. Something Xfce has never been able to do.

You are correct though. KDE on every other Linux distro absolutely
sucks. I chewed through a lot of them before just sticking Ubuntu 20.04
LTS on my primary desktop.

MX Linux is at the top of the DistroWatch charts lately.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

It's really really nice, _if_ you only have one monitor _or_ you have
the monitors in the exact order Xfce wants them in.

Again, I don't use it for streaming video and it is not my primary desktop.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com