[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience methods

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Sun Mar 21 20:35:41 CET 2021

> On 20 Mar 2021, at 01:14, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser at tarent.de> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2021, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
>
>> Do you have any particular classes in mind?
>
> There’s the deprecation of QApplication::desktop()->screen()->winId()
> which is necessary for command-line programs accessing the KDE wallet
> I wrote about in November assuming that someone here has connections
> to the KDE project and could find out how to best fix this together.
> For now, the program in question ignores that deprecation warning :/
> plus there won’t be a Qt 6 in Debian in near future anyway.
>
> bye,
> //mirabilos

My gut feeling is that esp for command line applications, a call equivalent to

$ xwininfo -d $DISPLAY -root

will be a better solution than creating a QApplication (rather than a QCoreApplication) to query the root window ID.

Alternatively, use Xlib APIs.

If there’s really no other way than adding something like QScreen::rootWindowId()  to Qt, then we can evaluate that, but it’s a niche problem that didn’t justify that we keep the outdated QDesktopWidget, or concepts that don’t translate well to other platforms around for now.

Cheers,
Volker