[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience methods

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue Mar 23 04:18:40 CET 2021

Surprisingly, I had a good experience with Wt, (webtoolkit.eu) the "web version of Qt" (uses boost). Maybe chromium plus Wt is the way to go? It's commercial, but not as bad as Qt licensing. (GPL2 or commercial)

If you don't constantly fracture the code base of humanity every couple years with some new toolkit how would the companies make any money? We're basically only ever putting rectangles and text on the screen. Yet we've had win32API, MFC,  WPF, Java, spring,  cocoa, windows forms, html, I've lost count. Qt seemed to be the stand out, but invented QtQuick.

One thing I muse about is geriatric computing, and got old people start relevant in a constantly changing UI landscape. Never I did think about the programmers churning away and needlessly updating style sheets, to make the retirement community less comfortable with using websites and apps.

Anyway I feel like things have gotten kind of off topic. Qt needs to go back to LGPL, or risk getting abandoned/replaced. Seems like some of the long time users here on this list have come to a similar conclusion. Oh and better support on mobile. Good luck with that. Hahahaha. Too interested in tweaking QHash performance in a GUI library than your use case using a mobile feature that's been around for 5 years but still isn't implemented in Qt.

Also, after reviewing the Qt company management, it's just Digia management, which might explain a lot.