[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 15:09:26 CET 2021

On 23/03/2021 09.16, Michael Jackson wrote:
> Having read this entire conversation I find it interesting that we as
> developers are complaining about features being deprecated and
> removed in Qt but yet where is the anger when C++ spec removes
> features?
Oh, it's there.

However, C++ is *far* more conservative than Qt about what it removes,
and most of the removals are genuinely unuseful. (Seriously,
*trigraphs*? Are *you* using trigraphs? Or auto_ptr?)

If you're seriously going to advance this argument, you need to point
out one or more *specific* changes that you believe are harmful. Even
then, chances are your compiler will continue to support that stuff for
another 10 years.

Also, C++ isn't a dictatorship the way Qt is. Anyone can object to any
change, not just on a mailing list, but in person. Anyone can, in theory
(in practice, depending on where you live, there may be a non-trivial
membership fee required) *vote* against a change. We, as the committee,
generally try to be considerate of the community when making changes,
and there is quite a lot of emphasis on not breaking existing code, even
as far back as C++98.

--
Matthew