[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 114, Issue 28

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 17:12:36 CET 2021

On 3/23/2021 10:44 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
>> Also, C++ isn't a dictatorship the way Qt is. Anyone can object to any
>> change, not just on a mailing list, but in person. Anyone can, in theory
>> (in practice, depending on where you live, there may be a non-trivial
>> membership fee required)*vote*  against a change. We, as the committee,
>> generally try to be considerate of the community when making changes,
>> and there is quite a lot of emphasis on not breaking existing code, even
>> as far back as C++98.
>>
> How many C++ devs are on those? Likely only those whose companies are
> paying them to be, and a few that got there via academics (I've
> personally known and worked with one person; outside of the folks I've
> seen here on the Qt lists.)

Well, when you sign up to build a DEB and a custom ISO for a client.
Both of which can be popped open on a server to have additional
marketing stuff dumped in you don't have to.

When said client wants the DEB to install on Ubuntu 12, 13, 14, 15, 16;
both 32 and 64-bit I can tell you now that, after hundreds of
experimental builds, C++98 on Ubuntu 15 is what you will use to create
the 32-bit executable, then you will stuff all of the libraries into the
DEB because you are straddling an ABI change as well as the systemd debacle

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/systemd

Fun times in Kiosk land.

--
Roland Hughes, President