[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Mar 23 19:03:47 CET 2021

On 3/23/2021 11:47 AM, Jason H wrote:

> QML is a binding environment, and a handy one at that. It is not just GUI.
> I have Websocket servers that interact with non-visual classes with bindings
> provided in QML. It's great. Yeah the QtQuick controls 1 were terrible and 2
> are pretty bad, but I think things are getting better.
You think it is great. My world knows it to be useless trash ruining the
product. Your world is completely different than mine. I've had to sweep
up behind people who thought they could use QML and JavaScript for
medical device work. More specifically, like 90% of the device.
>> It is irreparable at this point. Whatever Qt becomes, it cannot have any
>> current or former Digia people involved. Deep pocket customers won't
>> come back. The Digia crew is 0 for 2.
> It's reparable. Such things can be fixed with a stroke of a pen, like
> when Nokia LGPLd it. It's just that Digia/QtCo/Weyland-Yutani corp is
> running Qt as an open source project into the ground.
I wasn't talking about the license. The *reputation* of Qt is not
fixable at this point. If 100% of the bugs were fixed tomorrow and the
license was done correctly, a huge chunk of the market is __still__ not
coming back all because of wretched management and worthless decisions.
> I liked QML as a way to get those JS devs into Qt.

Cheap and putting out low quality systems. That's a market where no
matter how much you pay you can't buy good.

>>> I believe that if we could pull that off, Qt can still have a bright
>>> future.
>> We can't.
>>
>> The thing has to fork and split.
> I really hate fragmentation. I'd rather convince Digia that their
> licensing decisions are ultimately hurting the community and sales.

But the embedded market wants QML in its own hermetically sealed
environment with all contaminants removed from the C++ code.

Removal of QML and an intelligent license is why CopperSpice now has a
lot of former Qt customers.

>> I like Jason. He's a nice guy, but he wants to use Qt on phones and to
>> have QML. He's not alone. That's how this got so busted in the first
>> place. That write-once-run-anywhere myth surrounding Java back in the day.
> As someone who has done it, it's not myth*
> *for parts that Qt supports, but not nearly enough is supported on mobile.
Yeah. "Hello World!" works! :)

>> The OpenSource community was blind, deaf, and dumb when they railed
>> against Tivo locking down their devices and came up with all of these
>> poisoned pills in OpenSource licenses mandating users be able to modify
>> the software.
>>
>> In medical devices, that's illegal.
>>
>> In industrial control systems where SAFETY is mandated, that's illegal.
> Not exactly. To use it comply with the license and you would have to
> provide configuration management and source to generate the same binary.

You misinterpret what I mean by illegal. Understandable since we've been
talking software license.

If I'm an employee of St. Nowhere Hospital and I pull down the latest
OpenSSL (or whatever) OpenSource Linux library because I think it is
needed and install it on an FDA tested and approved medical device the
*act* of doing that is a crime. The device doesn't even have to be used,
just remain in the hospital or other medical facility where it *could*
be used.

I don't know about other parts of the world, but in the U.S.A. the FDA
is very adamant. Only the binary set that they have tested gets installed.

Now, if the device gets used you are looking at a minimum of attempted
manslaughter.  If there is an "adverse outcome" and where you live has a
really good prosecutor, you could be facing murder one.

I don't remember what the regulations/legal liability is for industrial
control where SAFETY in mandated but it isn't far off. If you tweak the
firmware on something like the safety sensors that drop the steel safety
nets in a paper mill, guys can literally get cut in half in a fraction
of a second. The nets and sensors are there to stop that.

Any new/different OpenSource license __MUST__ remove the Tivo poison
pill at least for the regulated environments where physically changing
the software is illegal.

Hey, you want to hose up your own Tivo, have at it. You just won't get
to watch TV. You hose up the surgical robot they are going to use for my
mom's open heart surgery I'll throw the lever in that chamber myself and
sleep good that night. Your "rights" just needlessly took an innocent
life. I can forgive a drunk driver easier than I can forgive you.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

https://theminimumyouneedtoknow.com