[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods

Bernhard Lindner private at bernhard-lindner.de
Tue Mar 23 22:33:27 CET 2021

> Raise your hands.
>
> How many of you have reported bugs that have sat open for over a year?

A year? LOL. 1 year is the age of the newest unresolved issue I have. Most of them are
many years old, including multiple issues dated 2012.

> Raise your hands.
>
> How many of you have bugs reported against earlier versions of Qt that sat open until
> they were closed as being against an unsupported version?

Actually this did not happen to me as far as I can remember. LOL! Probably because most of
my unresolved issue are rotting in the issue tracker as "Reported" and are ignored
forever.

> How many of you have had to scrap products or features because bugs you reported were
> blockers and they were just rotting in the bug database? How many of those bugs are
> still rotting?

Not scraped anything. But rewritten a lot. Hunted long known bugs. Reinvented the wheel
and wrote horrible work arounds.

> The only thing that is going to work for the big ticket companies is a 100% commercial
> product that happens to release its older stuff as OpenSource and sometimes accepts
> software developed by others for free. Nobody wants to hear that, but that is the only
> model that works. With that model comes fixing all bugs inside 90 days. None of this
> hoping someone in the OpenSource community fixes it for free.

You are right. But that has nothing to do with "Open Source" in the first place. I have
seen larger companies that insisted in "Open Source" for critical components - still with
the full, the reliably commercial support you are talking about. I think you are mixing
"Open Source" and "Community driven" here.

> That QML stuff really has to be ripped out and put into its own commercial package so
> the rest of the world doesn't have to pay the heavy price.

+1

> The Wolfe oven needed a stacked widget, not a state machine. Project craters like these
> aren't helping the reputation of Qt.

Can you explain that? I have seen software going down the drain because people didn't use
state machines. I have seen software using state machines without urgend need. But I have
never seen a software that failed *due to* using state machines (at least not when fully
understood).

> Roughly half of my bugs reported via the forum are fixed within a couple of days.

Seriously? Wow. What kind of bugs? What impact?

> Phones only care about what is shipping next week.
> As I said before, those are diametrically opposed markets.

I agree?

> Just my 0.0002 cents.

How do to change that? LOL, SCNR

--