[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience methods

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Mar 24 00:58:53 CET 2021

On Monday, 22 March 2021 14:29:14 PDT Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > accomplish the same goal. As shown by the example of the KWallet CLI,
> > there
> > may be a much better and much simpler solution once the need is
> > understood.
>
> I wouldn’t call shouting “API abuse!” at me a “much better” solution.
> I’m a user here, neither a KDE nor Qt developer, not even really a C++
> developer (I *do* C).

The much better solution was to understand that you didn't have to abuse the
API, and instead you can simply pass 0.

You hadn't understood the API that you were using, possibly because it wasn't
properly documented and, as you said you're not a C++ developer, you couldn't
read the source code for the target function. So you didn't know how to do
what you wanted and you didn't even know you were abusing the API. But that
doesn't make what I said any less valid: once we understood what you needed to
do, we could help you find a better solution.