[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience, methods

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Wed Mar 24 08:43:17 CET 2021

On 3/23/2021 11:44 AM, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:

> I personally wonder why people that never want to change what they built last year want to develop software development. Isn’t that what makes building stuff out of bits and ideas so much more interesting  than building stuff out of sticks and stones?

Wow. Really?  First of all, sheesh, generalize much? Who said anything
about "ever?"  Or even "last year."  Have you never built anything that
is actually finished, and stays finished, and relevant, and functional
for 10, 20, 30 years?  Granted, if I get 10 years of use out of anything
built in this century, I do consider it a minor victory.  So maybe
that's my answer.

Clearly Qt devs don't find fixing 5000+ outstanding P2+ bugs all that
interesting either.

And I personally find building things out of "sticks and stones"
immensely interesting and satisfying (assuming it works in the end :).
There's no undo or backups, just your skill in the moment. Not to
mention very practical, as all those bits and ideas would have nowhere
to go otherwise. Comparing physical building to digital creation (which
I also enjoy a lot) is only relevant in the most basic sense of
"building" in that both require some plan/vision and tools/skills to
execute it (and in the end hopefully you get something useful or
enjoyable). Otherwise, not even close.

I'd go on to explain that not everyone who uses Qt, lives and breathes
Qt, finds it endlessly fascinating, nor has time to conform to your
strict and relentless release schedule to evaluate every nuance of
massive API changes, etc, etc. You rushed Qt6 out the door, contrary to
what even some of your core contributors suggested, with the premise
that "now we'll get some feedback."  Well there you go, you're getting
it now. For many/most I think Qt is a tool, like a very fancy hammer.
If Estwing decided to remove the claw from their "new streamlined"
framing hammers, then made the clawed hammers cost $1000, I bet they'd
get about the same reaction as you're getting now.

"All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at
your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth
years, so you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and
it's far too late to start making a fuss about it now." -Douglas Adams

But I think I'm wasting my time.

-Max