[Interest] The willy-nilly deletion of convenience methods (was: Mixing Commercial and Open...)

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io
Wed Mar 24 15:08:50 CET 2021

> Oh,  another problem I've run into is that the replacements for a lot of these
> deprecated methods aren't even available until the same version that
> deprecated them. That makes it a PITA to write warning-free code when we
> have to support older versions of Qt.

[Maurice Kalinowski]
I assume you mean "removed them".

Those are the tough ones, agreed. And we know that those are situations, which are the most complicated. However, the problem usually around these are that we know that architecturally those will not withstand for a longer period without serious limitations. Afterall, Qt 5 served for 8 years, Qt 4 for less. For Qt 6 we aim to have it available even longer, for reasons mentioned in this very thread actually.

We are recognizing this also on some other modules currently in the works for 6.2. For instance some parts in Bluetooth will need such an effort. Unfortunately, those do not happen just for the sake of "modernization", but rather because there are flaws in the design which do not scale anymore.

As said, those are the worst and everyone (TQtC, but also all contributors) tries to keep these at a minimum. However, there is a chance that you are hit by those. Stating early "going to be deprecated" covers the notification aspect only then.

BR,
Maurice