[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was willy-nilly

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Mar 26 14:13:13 CET 2021

> Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 9:41 PM
> From: "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> To: interest at qt-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was willy-nilly
>
> On Thursday, 25 March 2021 12:38:56 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
> > > Qt's horizon is about 7 years.
> >
> > That's 8 years too short.
>
> For this industry, sure. But it's not Qt's promise. The fact that some
> industries require a higher standard of support or coding practices or
> stability does not immediately mean that it must be done in all software.
>
> It doesn't make economical sense for Qt to provide support for 15 years. If
> you need Qt for that long, you should engage a consultancy that will sell you
> that contract, the same way that Red Hat sells support for RHEL 6 for 14 years
> total (2010-2024).

Thiago, apparently, even with a commercial license, we no longer have rights
to use whatever versions were current when we had the license. Previously, we could use
it in perpetuity. This is probably a deal breaker at my new organization. It is my
understanding that after our software development is done, we have to maintain
commercial licenses even when we are not _developing_ software in Qt. I think the previous
perpetuity licensing was appropriate.