[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was willy-nilly

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Sat Mar 27 01:23:38 CET 2021

To be clear.  Roland and I are talking about very different issues.

To me, Qt should continue to support OS's/Compilers for the life of a Major version of Qt.  if it built on Qt 5.0 it should build on that OS/Compiler in 5.15

If Qt decides that modern C++ was more important in 5.13, and the compilers available on an OS/Compiler are no longer compiling Qt, then frankly, its time to move to Qt 6

There are many open source tool sets, that have parallel paths for a certain time.  Qt 4 is a good example. The late stage Qt4 was still being supported and new patch versions being put out as Qt 5 was rolling out.

I do NOT expect to start a project in Qt3 on CentOS 3/4 (or whatever it was) to be able to trivially rebuilt in Qt 4, or 5 when I move to CentOS 7

But If Im still using Qt 5.9 LTS, and decide to move to Qt 5.15 (skipping 12), I don’t expect my OSes to no longer be supported.  If there was functionality being added to 13 that made a version of a compiler/OS no longer valid to target? Make that functionality/code for Qt 6

Scott