[Interest] QML Image sourceSize bug (?)

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sat Mar 27 17:01:21 CET 2021

On 27/03/2021 15:46, Alexander Dyagilev wrote:

> If I enable mipmap, it looks much better comparing to original variant,
> but still worse comparing to the final one (described in my original
> posting).
>
> I can provide you all the screenshots if you want to.

I can only entertain that mipmapping in your case is going to use
trilinear interpolation (*) between the 32x32 and the 16x16 mip. And,
for your particular image ("artwork" / "icon"), that is giving you worse
results than a 27x27 image scaled directly from the source via bilinear
interpolation.

There's not much to do about this:

* mipmapping allows you to keep a good visual quality if the displayed
size of the image changes
* sourceSize allows you to get a good scaled-down version and save on
memory, but will look awful if now you try to make the image bigger again

(*) didn't check the actual code, just assumed a GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
setting.

HTH,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts