[Interest] the path forward - that 7 year thing - was, , willy-nilly

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 17:37:04 CEST 2021

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 02:54, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:

> Tukka, you (Digia, aka "QtCo") no longer offer the perpetuity clause of the license. Which is absolutely insane for a commercial customer.  If we are no longer developing that code, we should still be able to "distribute" that code. The revocation of the perpetuity clause in new licenses means we can no longer do that. We aren't even asking for support in perpetuity, just the ability to distribute what we had been...
>
> The developers at Qt Co need to push back and tell Digia "that's not how this works" before we get to the points of users revolting in threads on the forums / lists. It's a bad look. Anyone investigating Qt would be throughly turned off by now, and I can't say I would blame them.
>
> It's really sad it's gotten this far. I've been licensing Qt off and on since 2005 and watching it erode this whole time. I still think it's the greatest tech, but the licensing is quickly becoming the limiting factor.  So much so, that I have Qt in consideration at another company, and I am about to pull the plug because the licensing has changed so much.
>
> At some point the business people have to realize that they are selling to engineers, and this is a much more nuanced field, and this license erosion is noticed.
>
> Yeah, we noticed when QtPdf license changed:
> https://www.qt.io/blog/2017/01/30/new-qtpdf-qtlabs-module (LGPLv3)
> https://www.qt.io/blog/change-in-open-source-licensing-of-qt-wayland-compositor-qt-application-manager-and-qt-pdf (Tukka's own post)
> https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2019-October/037698.html (Not everyone was on board with the license change)
> But it's now under the marketplace license?
> https://marketplace.qt.io/collections/most-popular/products/qtpdf ($49/ Marketplace license)
>

> Shenannigans. I declare shenannigans.

Yep, Qt's trying to become smth like Atlasians or alikes...
They (Digia or whoever) are not interested in the technology, they
just want to milk the cash cow with no long term plan.
Once the cows run out of milk, they'll chop it down like an old dead
tree (Dirty old town).

IMHO, Qt is not a technology to be put in the hands of hedge funds...

Shenannigans. I declare shenannigans too!
- Typos included -
For a typo-free version try our whiter-than-white plugin!
Only 99,99.99,99 per MB per second per ip per host per dev per
keystroke per wallet.
IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!
CALL NOW!!!
And we'll give you a darker-than-dark plugin, FOR FREE!!!
HOLD ON EVERYTHING
Special offer: you'll get 12 darker-than-dark plugins, absolutely free!
YES!!!
So that you can put one in your toilets, living room, bedroom, kids
room, in your car, and who cares, give some to your neighbours!

Chris
Didn't follow the whole discussion, it's getting ridiculous...