[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 114, Issue 38

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Wed Mar 31 21:55:49 CEST 2021

> The response of, its fully supported on CentOS 7 with zero issues.
> Worked until they had other tools that were working fine (not Qt
> based)

Now suppose the issue wasn't HiDPI but something else that required a different component to be updated (like if you needed to update the Xorg server). And suppose the update didn't compile on CentOS 6 either.

Unlike the case of Qt, you don't have The Qt Company to blame. What is the outcome?

--
Frankly I would ask then why is the functionality being asked for by the customer since its clearly not available given their current OS.

Ie, if the X server didn’t support multi touch (just an example, may not e part of the X server, I really don’t know) with the versions available for CentOS 6, and Qt added support for multi-touch, but it wasn’t supported for versions of X that are too old.

I would expect Qt to query the version of X being used, say multi-touch isn’t supported so the app cant support it. If my customer complained that multi-touch works on the Windows, and CentOS 7 boxes, but not CentOS 6.  The reasoning is clear, the default X for CentOS 6 doesn’t support it.  I could then point them to the newer X and say have your IT dept move your CentOS to the X.Y.Z version of X (which they wont be able to do) and it will work.

Not say, sorry, we cant built on CentOS 6 because an X doesn’t exist with the support.

For High DPI, I would have hope they cherry picked all the fixes from 5.13 and 5.14 (and 5.15???) back to 5.12) so that 5.12 had the fixes for the critical issue, that is supported by X but is really just a bug in the Qt system

Scott