[Interest] [Development] Mac Big Sur - Qt Open-Source Support For

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Fri May 7 15:00:29 CEST 2021

For our application we grabbed the Qt 5.15 build script that Kitware used for universal binary CMake and used that to build Qt 5.15.2 on our M1 mac and have been using that for some beta testers. So far no one has complained about M1 specific issues. We also did *NOT* build all of Qt5, just the parts that we needed. Build script below.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# Run this script on a macOS x86_64 host to generate Qt universal binaries.
#
# This script requires the 'makeuniversal' tool from:
#
#   https://github.com/fizzyade/makeuniversal
#
# Build it with an existing local Qt installation first.
#
# Set the PATH environment variable to contain the location of 'makeuniversal'.

umask 022

CpuBrand=`sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string | grep "Apple" | wc -l`
if [ ${CpuBrand} != 0 ];
then
  ARCH=arm64
else
  ARCH=x86_64
fi

set -e
set -x

VERSION=5.15.2

DEV_ROOT=$HOME/DREAM3D-Dev

cd $DEV_ROOT
rm -rf qt-$VERSION-$ARCH
mkdir qt-$VERSION-$ARCH
cd qt-$VERSION-$ARCH
../qt-everywhere-src-$VERSION/configure \
  --prefix=/Users/Shared/DREAM3D_SDK/Qt$VERSION/$VERSION/clang_$ARCH \
  --docdir=/Users/Shared/DREAM3D_SDK/Qt$VERSION/Docs/Qt-$VERSION \
  -platform macx-clang \
  -device-option QMAKE_APPLE_DEVICE_ARCHS=$ARCH \
  -device-option QMAKE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.13 \
  -release \
  -opensource -confirm-license \
  -gui \
  -widgets \
  -no-gif \
  -no-icu \
  -no-pch \
  -no-angle \
  -no-dbus \
  -no-harfbuzz \
  -skip declarative \
  -skip multimedia \
  -skip qtcanvas3d \
  -skip qtcharts \
  -skip qtconnectivity \
  -skip qtdeclarative \
  -skip qtgamepad \
  -skip qtlocation \
  -skip qtmultimedia \
  -skip qtnetworkauth \
  -skip qtpurchasing \
  -skip qtremoteobjects \
  -skip qtscript \
  -skip qtsensors \
  -skip qtserialbus \
  -skip qtserialport \
  -skip qtwebchannel \
  -skip qtwebengine \
  -skip qtwebsockets \
  -skip qtxmlpatterns \
  -nomake examples \
  -nomake tests \
  -make tools

# Need to install the tools BEFORE generating the docs
make -j -k
make install

# Generate the Docs and install them
make docs