[Interest] Running qemu as debug service provider in Qt Creator

Richard Weickelt richard at weickelt.de
Tue Oct 5 18:53:55 CEST 2021

Hi,

> You can start it manually with qemu and tell it to stop before the first line
> of the application. Then tell Qt Creator to connect to the GDB server that
> qemu created.
>
> Debug > Start Debugging > Attach to Running Server

Thanks, but it doesn't work. The "Attach to Running Server" dialog in Qt
Creator is a bit confusing.

Kit: My gcc-arm-none-abi kit (based upon the arm-none-eabi-gcc-8 toolchain
shipped by the Qt maintenance tool).

Server port: 1234
Local executable: The application ELF file
Break at main is enabled

I get "Unable to create debugging engine". My kit uses arm-none-eabi-gdb-py
as the debugger. The device is a bare metal device and the debug server
provider is set to None. If I choose the arm-none-eabi-gdb executable
instead, I get "Failure during startup. Aborting. No debug server provider
found for".

Does the "attach to running server" even work for cross builds?