[Interest] qt and Windows tolerance heap

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Tue Sep 7 11:55:15 CEST 2021

> On 7 Sep 2021, at 11:31, maitai <maitai at virtual-winds.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have some users (mainly beta testers) that are suffering from "Windows Tolerant Heap" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/win7appqual/fault-tolerant-heap). The consequence of this being activated after some crashes is that the application becomes very slow, plus some mysterious crashes occur randomly deep inside qt event queue manager.
>
> I know how to remove the app from Tolerant Heap with an elevated command prompt.
>
> My question is: is there a way from inside the application to detect the app is running in this mode, so I can prompt the user to contact us for instance?
>
> Thanks for any insight
> Philippe Lelong

Based on

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5020418/how-do-i-turn-off-the-fault-tolerant-heap

it seems like there’ll be an entry in the registry for your application, such as

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\your_application.exe

or

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\your_application.exe

that you can query.

Cheers,
Volker