[Interest] Proxied view not updating live when source model does

Murphy, Sean Sean.Murphy at centauricorp.com
Mon Sep 20 19:15:45 CEST 2021

I'm having an issue where my proxy model and its associated view aren't updating live when changes
are made in the source model.

My proxy model simply is attempting to invert the rows of the source model. So it inherits from a
QSortFilterProxyModel and implements mapFromSource() and mapToSource() as follows:

    QModelIndex invertRowsModel::mapFromSource(const QModelIndex &sourceIndex) const
    {
        if(sourceIndex.isValid() && rowCount() > 0)
        {
            return this->index(rowCount() - sourceIndex.row() - 1, sourceIndex.column());
        }

        return QModelIndex();
    }

    QModelIndex invertRowsModel::mapToSource(const QModelIndex &proxyIndex) const
    {
        if(proxyIndex.isValid() && sourceModel() && rowCount() > 0)
        {
            return sourceModel()->index(rowCount() - proxyIndex.row() - 1, proxyIndex.column());
        }

        return QModelIndex();
    }

I load up my source model with some data, connect the models up to their respective views,
connect the source model to the proxy and launch the application. The original views are
correct - the proxied rows are flipped when compared to the source model. But then if the
user makes a change to some of the data in the source model's view, the corresponding index
in proxy model's view is NOT updated automatically. HOWEVER, if the user then clicks within
the proxy view, or clicks outside of my application, the proxy model will then repaint and the
updated information is correctly shown.

I've attached a minimal example that shows the behavior. Things to note:
1. When the source model emits its dataChanged(), this seems to trigger a dataChanged()
  emission in the proxy model as well. The weird (at least to me) thing is that both of those
  signals have the SAME model index row & column numbers. I would have expected that
  when the source model emits data changed, that the proxy model would translate the
  source model's indices into the proper proxy model's indices via the mapFromSource()
  function and then emit dataChanged() with those indices. I've got debug statements in
  my example to illustrate that no dataChanged() translation is happening - if the user
  updates data in row 0 in the source model's view, the proxy model also emits that data
  changed in its row 0, but that isn't the correct row for the proxy.
2. We discovered that if we connect the proxy model's dataChanged() signal to a custom
  slot within the proxy model, and have that slot emit layoutChanged() then we can get
  the live update behavior when the source model updates. This is at line 25 of
  invertrowsmodel.cpp. It's commented out initially, but if you uncomment it and re-run
  the app then proxy view does update instantly. Other similar signals would work as well -
  we just need something triggers the proxy view to refresh the data in the proxied view,
  but we don't think we should really have to do this...
3. I have a second view attached to the source model and both source model views update
  each other live - changes in one source model view are instantly updated in the other
  source model view, but not in the proxy model view without further user interaction
  (or by emitting that layoutChanged() signal)

Any thoughts as to why the proxy model isn't updating correctly?
Sean