[Interest] Official linuxdeployqt ?

Jörg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Mon Aug 8 08:09:54 CEST 2022

On 8/4/22 19:42, Scott Bloom wrote:

> Is there a Qt supported linuxdeployqt comparable to the windeployqt?
>
> I found the 3^rd party version, but the command line args are very
> different.

Mitch already pointed you to QTBUG-74940.  The biggest question
regarding a linuxdeployqt is: what exactly is the deployment format
going to be?  There's no standard way of deploying Linux applications.
There are many.

The community contributions create AppImage packages.  That seems to be
a reasonable choice.  Other opinions?

> Also, is anyone on the Qt side, create a CMake function for this?
>
> Where inside CMake, you could call “DeployQt( <target> )” and it would
> find all the dependencies and create a list of files in cmake etc

We have this CMake API in tech preview that adds the *deployqt calls as
installation step.  See
https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qt-generate-deploy-app-script.html

However, Linux is not supported due to the lack of linuxdeployqt.

Regarding CMake's GET_RUNTIME_DEPENDENCIES: I'm with Scott here.  This
solves only part of what the *deployqt tools do.

--
Jörg Bornemann | The Qt Company