[Interest] Official linuxdeployqt ?

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Mon Aug 8 18:10:34 CEST 2022

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 08:10, Jörg Bornemann <joerg.bornemann at qt.io<mailto:joerg.bornemann at qt.io>> wrote:
On 8/4/22 19:42, Scott Bloom wrote:

> Is there a Qt supported linuxdeployqt comparable to the windeployqt?
>
> I found the 3^rd party version, but the command line args are very
> different.

Mitch already pointed you to QTBUG-74940.  The biggest question
regarding a linuxdeployqt is: what exactly is the deployment format
going to be?  There's no standard way of deploying Linux applications.
There are many.

The community contributions create AppImage packages.  That seems to be
a reasonable choice.  Other opinions?

It seems to me that how a Qt app is actually packaged/deployed is out-of-scope of a linuxdeployqt tool.

It seems macdeployqt actually build bundles, but windeployqt just copy files next to the .exe file.
IMHO a linuxdeployqt should just copy files, like windeployqt. Given the number of way to package apps under Linux, the actual packaging should be left to other tools.

BR

Benjamin

Honestly, I would prefer a different option all together.

I would like to be able to give the tool a shared library or an executable, and it returns a JSON stream of data.

Where the data would include any runtime dependencies + any other Qt dynamically bound package files with their appropriate directories.

Then the user (or cmake function) could read in the data, and copy or build the bundle as necessary.

Having the option to “list” the data vs “copy and build” the bundle/application directory would give a very powerful resultant tool

As to “how to package” linux, honestly I would assume it would just copy the files into the correct location relative to the executable/shared library sent in.

Scott