[Interest] [External] Re: How to properly terminate QtConcurrent run

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:27:41 CEST 2022

Den ons 17 aug. 2022 kl 17:12 skrev Sean Murphy via Interest
<interest at qt-project.org>:

> Thanks for the response!
>
> > You should signal processChunk to stop processing early. You can for
> > example do this through an atomic variable which is periodically checked, e.g.
> > as part of the stop condition in that loop you mentioned.
>
> I'll look into this idea, but some of what my processChunk() does are calls into an
> external library that I can't control so my options are limited there. As far as I can
> tell, this is an issue for any code that just takes a long time.

Yes, if this it's a call into an external API that provides no
mechanism to cancel the call prematurely, you have no option for
graceful shutdown and have to kill the threads forcefully.

I guess in the code handling your application exit, you can wait a
little bit for all threads in the pool, and after an "unreasonable"
amount of time has passed (half a second?), kill them all forcefully.
Bit of a big hammer, but I don't know of any way to query for the
threads currently used by a specific ::map call (maybe someone else
does though).

Elvis