[Interest] [External]Re: How to get QtConcurrent to do what I want?

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Tue Feb 1 18:48:02 CET 2022

Depending on your QFuture setup, you could monitor each tile, and when it completes, update the min max...

Passing the manager to each tile, and when the tile is finished update the manager with the tiles value.  Then a simple mutex should allow you to not collide.  No signals, just a simple function call.

When the future watcher says all tiles are done, you will also have the min/max computed at that point, so you can kick off phase 2.

While I love the signal slot for "generic, I don’t know who needs this information" type design. Sometimes the cost/overhead of being a qobject and sending the signal, especially when it’s a very discrete "signal" and not generic in any means, it can be overkill.

To me, the manager you have doesn’t need to know "is a tile finished", ie a generic signal.  But rather what Is the min max of the tile when finished a specific signal.  For that level, a simple function works.

Scott