[Interest] Build Issues with QT 6.2.3

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Sun Feb 6 15:59:41 CET 2022

> On 6 Feb 2022, at 15:37, BeneschTech LLC <chris at beneschtech.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks! I dont like ruby either lol. I found two more files that broke as well the fixes were trivial. Havent tried to fix linguist yet.
>
> I have three big problems with the cmake and ninja combo:
> 1. Ninja uses all the cpu cores +1 by default. Unless you have a water cooled system you will overheat on a 30k file build like this.

You can pass -j x to ninja to limit the number of parallel jobs, e.g.

$ ninja -j 6

or more flexibly

$ ninja -j $(( $(nproc) - 2 ))

> 2 . Cmake does not store your last configuration command anywhere i can find like autotools does.

Assuming that your issues are mostly with building Qt (because you’re probably not using cmake for your own project), the Qt configure script does still save the command options, so “configure -redo” will work as before.

> 3 . During the build you can not see the flags being passed to the compiler. If you have an odd configuration like I do where I use clangs polly extension theres no easy way to see that its being used correctly.

Have you tried

$ ninja -v

?

> Qt itself is wonderful well written software and ive only ever encountered issues with third party code. Indulge us old guys though. We have reasons we like traditional make and autotools.

Cheers,
Volker