[Interest] Android 11, memory leak and Scudo

maitai maitai at virtual-winds.org
Thu Jan 20 15:06:31 CET 2022

Hi all,

I have several users crashing with OOM under Android 11 or 12 (qt5.15.8
Widget app, SDK30, NDK21, JDK11). The same exact config (same apk, same
settings, same data) does not behave the same depending on the device
using SCUDO or JEMALLOC. I have a device running Android 11 but with
JEMALLOC, no memory leak on that one, while the same automated test
sequence is crashing on Android 11 using SCUDO.

As far as I can see from the logs, memory is never released by the OS
and of course after reaching a threshold app is getting killed. I am
100% sure there is no memory leak on our side, and the amount of memory
we use never exceeds 3G even on very strong devices with 12G or more
total memory.

I have tried a lot of things, including calling regularly System.gc() or
setting some obscure parameters using __scudo_default_options() with no
result: memory always increase whatever I delete. I have also tried
building against SDK31.

So my questions are: is there a known issue with qt and scudo on Android
11 or 12 and what should/can I do about that? Any idea how to better
understand/debug the issue?

Thanks
Philippe Lelong