[Interest] Impact of QtWayland licensing on applications bundling OSS Qt?

Mike Rochefort mike at michaelrochefort.com
Fri Jun 17 00:23:02 CEST 2022

On 6/16/22 5:52 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> The Wayland *client* library API and the wayland QPA plugin, which are
> licensed
>   LicenseRef-Qt-Commercial OR LGPL-3.0-only OR GPL-2.0-only OR GPL-3.0-only
> which is the same as qtbase, see
> https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/src/corelib/global/qglobal.h
>
> And the Wayland compositor (server) library API, which is licensed
>   LicenseRef-Qt-Commercial OR GPL-3.0-only
>
> If you just want your application to run in a Wayland session, you need the
> client library and plugin only.

This is good to know. I don't know what I was looking at last week, but
I could have sworn when I was going through the code last week I saw
some disconnects between the license headings in the qt/qtwayland repo.
Good reason to not look at code late at night! Looking at it again today
things seem to line up with your information. Is this explicitly
documented anywhere outside of the code headings? From what I could find
in the Qt docs the only license mentions are around the compositor and
integration plugin:

=== https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwaylandcompositor-index.html
Qt Wayland Compositor and the Qt Wayland integration plugin are
available under commercial licenses from The Qt Company.

In addition, Qt Wayland Compositor is available under the GNU General
Public License, version 3, while the Qt Wayland integration plugin is
available under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or the GNU
General Public License, version 2.
===

In terms of bundling with the rest of the Qt framework, you're saying
just the following artifacts from a build are needed? I don't know if
any other objects or resources from the QtWayland package are necessary.

- libqwayland-{egl,generic}.so
- libqwayland-xcomposite-{egl,glx}.so (optional for Qt5?)
- libQt{5,6}WaylandClient.so.{5,6} (linked by the above objects)

Cheers,
Mike