[Interest] Quick Item visibility test / hit test... or synthesize press event

EXT Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Wed Jun 22 04:06:55 CEST 2022

There’s no public API for this specific task, but there have been suggestions for it:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-23745
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-83647

From: Interest <interest-bounces at qt-project.org> on behalf of Federico Ferri <federico.ferri.it at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 22 June 2022 at 05:26
Subject: Re: [Interest] Quick Item visibility test / hit test... or synthesize press event
I have solved it more or less with this:

    function traverseItemTreeWithClipping(item, pt, f, rootItem) {

        rootItem = rootItem || item

        var p = item.mapFromItem(rootItem, pt)

        var inItemRect = p.x >= 0 && p.y >= 0 && p.x < item.width && p.y < item.height

        if(item.clip && !inItemRect) return

        f(item, p, inItemRect)

        for(var i = 0; i < item.children.length; i++)

            traverseItemTreeWithClipping(item.children[i], pt, f, rootItem)

    }

    function hitTest(rootItem, pt) {

        var result = undefined

        var z = -Infinity

        traverseItemTreeWithClipping(rootItem, pt, (item, p, inItemRect) => {

            if(item.visible && item.z >= z && inItemRect) {

                result = item

                z = item.z

            }

        })

        return result

    }

It only handles visibility and clipping. If there is a better way or I overlooked some QtQuick aspect, please let me know.

Cheers,

Federico Ferri