[Interest] QStandardPaths on windows

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Tue Mar 1 18:40:25 CET 2022

On linux, you can overwrite most of the QStandardPaths using the XDG_ environment variables.

However, I don't see anyway to do the same for Windows.  Windows appears always goes to the systems SHGetKnownFolderPath.

In a similar manner to QSettings being able to set a specific directory, I would like to see the same in a OS independent manner.

QStandardPaths already has a "setTestMode" which helps, however, if you are running tests on a grid engine, each test having its own specific set of directories for the configuration files can be critical to prevent  multiple runs writing to the same directory.

My thoughts would be to add to QStandardPahths::setTestModeDirectory( ), so rather than simply adding "qttest" to the system

Is there anyway to do what I need today?

Scott