[Interest] Windows: "loadlibrary failed with error 87" on a configuration with a fake video card?

Henry Skoglund henry at tungware.se
Tue Mar 22 07:25:17 CET 2022

On 2022-03-22 07:11, Alexander Dyagilev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The stack trace is the following. Should I file a bug report? Is there
> a workaround I can suggest to the user?
>
> win32u.dll!NtUserWaitMessage
()
> user32.dll!DialogBox2()
> user32.dll!InternalDialogBox()
> user32.dll!SoftModalMessageBox
()
> user32.dll!MessageBoxWorker(struct _MSGBOXDATA *)
> user32.dll!MessageBoxTimeoutW
()
> user32.dll!MessageBoxTimeoutA
()
> user32.dll!MessageBoxA
()
> atig6pxx.dll!00007ffd04194e11()
> atig6pxx.dll!00007ffd0419526e()
> opengl32.dll!pgldrvLoadAndAllocDriverInfo()
> opengl32.dll!LoadAvailableDrivers()
> ..

> On 3/18/2022 6:41 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On Thursday, 17 March 2022 19:50:45 PDT Alexander Dyagilev wrote:
>>> This error message is shown by Windows OS when it's failed to load a
>>> library the process sayed it to load.
>>>
>>> I.e. Qt calls LoadLibrary (directly, or by loading some other modules
>>> which calls it to load another modules they depends on).
>>>
>>> Short googling tells that it's an graphics card driver related issue
>>> (e.g. https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/10084).
>>>
>>> But, maybe there is some known work around for this...
>> If you can generate a backtrace from the application at the moment
>> that dialog
>> is shown, it can help pinpoint what was being loaded and where from.
>> There are
>> too many LoadLibrary in the source code to guess which one has incorrect
>> parameters.

If you google for that video driver **atig6pxx.dll** you'll find non-Qt
programs that also exhibit the same error 87, for example AutoCAD:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-startup-error-load-liabrary-failed-with-error-87.html