[Interest] Accessibility: how to notify of new text in an unfocused widget?

Vadim Peretokin vperetokin at hey.com
Mon May 2 08:18:56 CEST 2022

Hi all,

I'm working on adding accessibility support for my Qt 5.15 application
and I need the screenreader to announce when a widget that is outside of
the screenreaders focus receives new text.

In the web world, this is solved with live regions
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-
US/docs/Web/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Live_Regions>. I'm not able to find
them in Qt's documentation and JIRA suggests that they are not supported
<https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-88826>.

How can I go about solving this in my application? Also interested to
hear from those who ran up against this and how you solved this.

Ideally this could be dealt with application-side without modifying Qt,
as maintaining builds of Qt sources would be a large amount of overhead
for our open-source project.

Thanks,
Vadim