[Interest] Qt Android - Targeting API 29 (Android 10): How to write to a non scoped location that is visible to the user via generic Files app?

Nuno Santos nuno.santos at imaginando.pt
Fri May 13 13:51:41 CEST 2022

Hi,

I’m having an hard time figuring out how to write files from a Qt Android app, to a location that is public to the user, outside of the scoped storage.

I’m currently using Qt 5.15.9 and targeting API 29 (Android 10). I have set in my manifest requestLegacyExternalStorage=true

And then I have tried to write a dummy file to the following StandardLocations:

DesktopLocation - "/data/user/0/com.acme.org/files/test_file.txt"
DocumentsLocation - "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.acme.org/files/Documents/test_file.txt"
MusicLocation - "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.acme.org/files/Music/test_file.txt"
PicturesLocation - "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.acme.org/files/Pictures/test_file.txt"
HomeLocation - "/data/user/0/com.acme.org/files/test_file.txt"
GenericDataLocation - "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.acme.org/files/test_file.txt"
DownloadLocation - "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.acme.org/files/Download/test_file.txt"
GenericCacheLocation - "/data/user/0/com.acme.org/cache/test_file.txt”

Then, with the files app I try to find any of the files without success… :(

How do we write to public files to public locations, outside the scoped storage? Is it currently possible?

Thanks in advance!

Nuno