[Interest] Small survey on necessary Qt Container size

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Sep 6 15:24:19 CEST 2022

We write science data processing software (github.com/bluequartzsoftware/dream3d) and there have been more than a few times where we load up past 32 bit signed int number of elements in an array. We are adding out-of-core to our software now which means we are definitely going past signed 32 bit indexes. We rewrote our core software library to remove any Qt codes from them so that we can have this kind of access using std::* containers.

My guess is that if you are NOT in the data processing realm the Qt containers are probably just fine for your use cases. If you need something more you have already made the changes necessary to move your code forward. Std::shared_ptr<std::vector<T>> also works well to pass around data as does the usual "const ref" passing which helps you keep ownership figured out.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Mike Jackson