[Interest] Qt: Quick: Failed to create OpenGL context

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Sep 21 20:49:27 CEST 2022

On 9/20/22 05:00, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 19 September 2022 01:58:15 PDT Alexander Dyagilev wrote:
>
>> The only way I can see now is to check if the previous start of my app
>> was successful. If not - use desktop mode instead. But this will require
>> user to try to start our app again. He can just uninstall it immediately
>> instead...
> You could supply a helper application that you can launch and get the errors
> from, if you can determine what operations are causing them.
>
> You mentioned three options ("desktop", "angle" and "software"), but only of
> two tests. I thought ANGLE had the best support, because it avoided the buggy
> OpenGL drivers and instead used the translation layer to get to DirectX.

I don't write Windows software anymore, haven't for many years. Honestly
didn't think anyone actually did anymore. Here's the concept one would
use for package installed software.

Debian has a postinst step. RPM has %post in your .spec file. Depending
on the tool you use, Windows should have something similar. I seem to
remember Install Shield did back in the day.

Write three tiny test programs that tag along with your product. Create
a batch/script that launches these three tiny test programs WITH KNOWN
PROCESS NAMES. Have it launch, sleep for 3 seconds, then see which
one(s) are still alive. Write that to an INI/config/whatever file and
make that the first thing you look at as your app starts up to set the
backend.

Leave the postinst script and test executables lying around. If they upgrade/change video cards the current working backend may no longer work.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com