[Interest] on bumping the minimum Android API level to Android 8.0 API 26

Maxim maxim.bescherevnykh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 23:34:16 CEST 2023

Minimum supported API level recently raised from 21 (Qt 5.15) to 23 (Qt
6.0) then to 26 (Qt 6.5?) without details behind it, so possibility of
deploying to devices with lower API level is unclean. I guess raising level
23 API may be caused by implementation of runtime permissons, but whats
behind raising it to 26?

"While changes in CI are not being made at this stage, we need to move
forward with setting user's expectations that they can no longer rely on
Qt remains compatible with Android versions that are no longer
maintained by Google." https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtdoc/+/466788
What means no longer maintained by Google? Google supports development for
wide range of Android API levels, their recent LTS NDK r25 still supports
level 19+ API, they provide various 'Compat' classes for support lower APIs
levels.

To favor focus of Qt on more recent Android versions, while still keeping
possibility of building Qt applications for devices with lower API levels,
i think there should be multiple documented minimal API levels:
-general minimal supported API level (e.g. 26) of Qt framework (favored in
test configurations, bug priority, etc.)
-individual minimal API level requirements of Qt modules (e.g. for qtcore
level 23 or maybe even lower in some cases)