[Interest] Embedded Font in PDF

Zander zander.mostrova at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:19:56 CEST 2023

Hello Everyone,
My question about font licensing and embedding in PDF from QT creator. An
application that I have written gathers manually filled in data, formats it
and exports it as an PDF. These PDF’s are then manually published on an
small website.
I am using Qt5.15.2

QPrinter printer(QPrinter::PrinterResolution);
printer.setOutputFormat(QPrinter::PdfFormat);
printer.setPaperSize(QPrinter::A4);
printer.setOutputFileName(Filename);
printer.setPageMargins(QMarginsF(15, 15, 15, 15));
document.print(&printer);

For some reason the font “chosen” by Qt is Tahoma, nowhere in my code do I
specify a font.
When viewing the pdf in Adobe reader I noticed that Qt embedded a subset of
Tahoma: "*Language parts made red for privacy"*
[image: tahoma.png]
<https://ddgobkiprc33d.cloudfront.net/4a771dc9-c091-4efc-851f-b73adaabbab5.png>

The weird thing is that pdffonts (part of the Poppler library) indicaties
that the font is completely embedded.

Is this legal? The Licence on the Microsoft website says the following:

*When can I use document embedding?The brief answer: If an application
follows the rules and restrictions defined in the OpenType or TrueType
specification, you can use it to embed Windows supplied fonts in any
document file it creates. For example, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint follow
the rules and restrictions, so you can use these applications to create
documents (such as Word documents, PowerPoint decks and PDFs) that include
embedded fonts.*

Does Qt follow the “rules and restrictions defined in the OpenType or
TrueType specification”, or do I need to worry that I am getting sued by
Microsoft for unintentionally embedding the font in the PDF?
Nowhere I can find how Qt handles the Type flags of Tahoma or even what the
Type flags of Tahoma are…
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/os2#fstype
I am a bit stressed about this, do any of you know the answer?

Greetings Zander