[Interest] Why does the QtLogging message not include type (e.g. WARNING)?

Thomas Larsen Wessel mrvelle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 10:23:36 CET 2023

> The fact that it has historically been JUST the message has made people use
> qDebug to create formatted output, instead of using stdio or iostreams. I
> disagree with doing that: that's not the purpose of QDebug. But it does
> exist,
> so changing the default will cause some irritation.

Interesting. And a valid point of course. I see a whole lot of issues with
that practice. Issues much more annoying than suddenly having their own
output prefixed with DEBUG. But I'm not going to dive into that here :)

Just don't forget that the current default also causes some irritation
to others. When I use PyQGIS in any of my Python scripts any log output
will appear without any context (which is unacceptable, unless I really
don't care about the user). Its not even my own warning messages,
its warnings generated by Qt itself. The simplest workaround for me is
adding two lines of code to each script (some scripts are as short as 10
lines) to change the output. Imagine if all my imports in my python scripts
required two lines of code to set up friendly error/warning output :)

Of course I can live with adding those two lines; I already did. But it
does seem like a poor design choice (which I suspect was never a
conscious choice, but rather a coincidental choice).

If maintainers/users generally prefer the default to stay as it is, I guess
that is justification enough :)