[Interest] Using QML based application change the display orientation

Gullapalli, Satyanarayan satyanarayan.gullapalli at thermofisher.com
Thu Feb 9 10:32:09 CET 2023

Hi Team,

We are using the following test setup for our project:

  *   evaluation board which has
     *   iMX-8m-mini-som
     *   display(MIPI) of resolution 1280x720
     *   Integrated 2D/3D GPU and 1080p VPU
  *   running qt default applications with backend as eglfs.

By default, the display content displaying the portrait mode(720X1280(X x Y)) as like below:

[cid:image001.png at 01D93C96.FF122340]

To change the display orientation, we explored following qt options:

  1.  Using QT_QPA_EGLFS_ROTATION

As stated in the link https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/embedded-linux.html<https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/embedded-linux.html#:~:text=Specifies%20the%20rotation,not%20support%20rotation> the environment variable QT_QPA_EGLFS_ROTATION only applicable for the QWidget-based applications not for the Qt Quick.

  1.  Apply transformations in QML scene

As stated in the link https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/embedded-linux.html<https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/embedded-linux.html#:~:text=Specifies%20the%20rotation,not%20support%20rotation>, We tried to apply transformations in QML scene.

But with reference to link https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-rotation.html#details<https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-rotation.html#details:~:text=The%20Rotation%20type%20provides%20a%20way%20to%20rotate%20an%20Item%20through%20a%20rotation%2Dtype%20transform>, The Rotation type provides a way to rotate an Item through a rotation-type transform not for Window element.

We could be able to rotate the one of the test application which developed using Item element.

[cid:image002.png at 01D93C96.FF122340]

But we are looking for generic solution which should be applicable for best possible scenarios.

Considering the above eval board and test setup, please suggest any possible solution to change display orientation for application using Window element or etc.

Regards,
Satyanarayan Gullapalli