[Interest] MSVC not-the-latest: are you using it? why?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 23:08:00 CET 2023

> MSVC not-the-latest: are you using it? why?

Yes, using VS 2019.

I can only speak for us, but we simply haven't had any really
compelling reason to upgrade our compiler.

Turning the question around: If you have no need for the
features/improvements that a newer compiler would bring, why would you
upgrade it? It's a non-zero amount of work to switch.

In many places, if you can't make a (somewhat) direct connection to
something revenue-generating, such as a client case, it's not going to
get done unless there's unexpected extra time available.

That said, we would have no problem with Qt dropping support for VS
2019. We are using a somewhat old 5.12 version of Qt anyway, mostly
for same reason as we are not using latest compiler.

So perhaps better wait for someone that is staying on top of the
latest Qt to give their view. I can imagine that there that do that to
get improvements/bug fixes, but which rarely update their compiler.
It's quite rare to be affected by a compiler bug after all.

Elvis