[Interest] MSVC not-the-latest: are you using it? why?

Scott Bloom scott at towel42.com
Mon Jan 23 18:19:07 CET 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: Interest <interest-bounces at qt-project.org> On Behalf Of Thiago Macieira
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2023 9:32 AM
To: interest at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Interest] MSVC not-the-latest: are you using it? why?

On Sunday, 22 January 2023 08:33:43 PST coroberti wrote:
> On some update of MSVC-2017 to their next minor release, we got their
> optimization bug.
> It was a waste of time to understand what happened and to work-around it.

That just means you had to downgrade to the previous minor version of 2017.

That doesn't answer my question, though.

My groups reasoning, other 3rd party libraries.

Since MSVC 2015, its been great that a 3rd party library built can be used on newer versions.  However, that is not always the case on the linux side.

So when a MSVC, gcc, g++ version is moved to, we move very slowly for the new version.

One of the limiting factors in general, is we would prefer NOT to have 2 compilers with very different c++ support.  There have a been a number of " C++11/14/17 etc" that have been partially implemented on one, and not on the other.  Unfortunately, NOT always protected by the "version switch".

The biggest one that hit me, is std::make_unique which didn't exist on g++ but did on windows.  So if used, when you go build on linux, you have to clean up your code.  There have been some others through the years.

So in general, we try to keep their abilities as close as possible,

Scott