[Interest] MSVC not-the-latest: are you using it? why?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Fri Jan 27 06:16:57 CET 2023

On 26/1/23 03:52, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The reason I asked about VS2019, aside from the simple learning of
> many things
> I did not anticipate, is that we're seeing it have C++ compliance issues. This
> is not even C++20 or 17; it's a plain constexpr function that should have
> worked with C++14.

Is it actually VS 2019 you want to drop, or the v142 toolset and
earlier? Because VS2022 would support compiling with v142 also (and
earlier) but I guess that's what doesn't work.

We have used older compilers in newer VS in the past, but not for any
good particularly good reason other than being conservative about upgrading.

Hamish