[Interest] slower compilation with Qt6

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Mon Jul 24 06:11:02 CEST 2023

I've just finished porting my application from Qt 5.15 to 6.5, and I'm
finding that compilation is significantly slower now - builds take twice
as long or more. For example a linux-g++ build of a project with ~650 .o
files has gone from 45 seconds to 100. I see similar increases on
Windows with MSVC2022, and in other projects with more compilation units.

I'm already using precompiled headers, including a bunch of Qt headers
and some STL.

The next MSVC2022 preview release has a "Build Insights" feature which
shows time spent processing header files, and my biggest culprits are
some headers of mine that use a lot of Q_GADGET and Q_PROPERTY macros.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed things up? I see some
other comments about this online for example
https://forum.qt.io/topic/142309/compilation-times-with-qt6/12

Thanks

Hamish