[Interest] Qt5 --> Qt6 dramatic increase of binary sizes under macOS

Alexander Dyagilev alervdvcw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 19:56:54 CEST 2023

Hello,

There is something strange with macOS builds (Qt 6.4.3).

Size of my app's DMG compiled with Qt5 is 38M. Qt6 - 77MB. I.e. more
than 2 times larger.

Other platforms I've checked (Windows, Android) - are fine. I.e. binary
sizes are approximately the same.

I've tried to find the reason. There are two:

1) Most of binary files' sizes are increased in 2-3 times for an unknown
reason.

2) There is ffmpeg plugin (libffmpegmediaplugin.dylib).

Two questions:

1) Is this a bug? For me, it sounds like a bug of macOS build system,
because there is no such increase under other platforms.

2) Is it safe to just remove libffmpegmediaplugin.dylib? When is it
used? We use Qt media plugin to play simple audio files only (to notify
the user about some events).