[Interest] can't dump QStringList with qDebug()

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Wed Mar 8 02:21:11 CET 2023

On 8/3/23 04:15, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 6 March 2023 22:15:01 PST Hamish Moffatt via Interest wrote:
>> ../../../../Qt6.4.2/6.4.2/gcc_64/include/QtCore/qdebug.h:217:53: note:
>> candidate template ignored: requirement
>> 'std::conjunction_v<std::disjunction<std::is_base_of<QList<QString>,
>> QString>, QTypeTraits::has_ostream_operator<QDebug, QString, void>>>' was
>> not satisfied [with T = QString]
> This is the expected template and the compiler told us why it couldn't expand:
> it thinks that the QDebugIfHasDebugStreamContainer condition wasn't satisfied.
> That condition is
>
> std::is_base_of<Container, T> OR QTypeTraits::has_ostream_operator<Stream, T>
>
> Obviously, QStringList is not a base class of QString; we're expecting the
> second check to be true, that there's an output streaming operator for QDebug-
> QString
>
> That of course is there; it's in QDebug itself.
>
> So my conclusion is that your compiler has a bug and improperly parsed the C++
> code. Does this problem happen with GCC 11 or 12?

I said gcc 10 earlier, but I meant to say clang 11. But I also see it in
clang 14, and in VS 2019 (17.5.1 - latest).

It seems to be related to #including the moc output in the cpp file.

Here's a minimal example:

Header file:

#pragma once

#include <QObject>
#include <QString>

namespace TServer
{

	class Test : public QObject
	{
		Q_OBJECT

	private:
		void test();

	signals:
		void databaseOpened(QString schoolCode);
		void databaseEvent(QString schoolCode, QString notification);
		void databaseRemoved(QString schoolCode, QString dbFilename);
	};

}

Source file:

#include "server_database2.h"