[Interest] Qt Quick: no qmake support anymore?

Alejandro Exojo alex+qt-interest at alex.barcelona
Tue May 2 22:39:22 CEST 2023

On Sat, Apr 29, 2023, at 2:45 PM, Ulf Hermann via Interest wrote:
> > It will come back in a future release:
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt-creator/qt-creator/+/473719
> > <https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt-creator/qt-creator/+/473719>
>
> It is, however, not a good idea to use qmake for new QML-based projects.
> In qmake you don't have qt_add_qml_module
> (https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qt-add-qml-module.html). Without adequate build
> system support it's very difficult to produce QML modules you can
> reliably re-use.

Which begs the question of if it's worth it to bother with QML at all, or at least, when there is the option of something else like widgets. It has a more complex model of mixing the two worlds, it requires additional build system support, and the tooling support is also an additional layer that can break more often, even for trivial examples like in https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-24987 (which BTW, has at least two people saying that it isn't fixed, and I did not comment myself because I stopped caring).

Sorry if I'm salty, but I keep reading things that push me away from liking QML, and the things that are supposedly worth the effort are a bit underwhelming, to be honest.