[Interest] Qt Wayland: handle one or two displays like Weston does

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue May 23 23:20:57 CEST 2023

> On 19 May 2023, at 16:02, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Is there any example of QtWayland's compositor handling one or two monitors like Weston does?
>
> To be more precise: my hardware, iMX8M-PLUS based, has an LVDS display and an HDMI output.
>
> The LVDS display is always connected, and if weston is started it will set the shell to be as big as the LVDS display itself.
>
> Now if an HDMI monitor gets attached Weston will expand the shell to the right with the new display's size...

As far as I know, we have not yet implemented display hotplugging.  The main use case so far for QtWayland compositors is embedded: you might have multiple screens on one GPU in your car, but they are fixed and configured at the factory.  I would also like to have hotplugging in eglfs though, because it’s one of the obstacles in the way of using QtWayland on laptops and such (don’t want to have to restart the compositor if I connect a second monitor); but I think this involves more work with libdrm to achieve.  (I've spoken to colleagues about it a few years ago, so I’m just remembering what was said at the time, but didn’t get around to trying to implement it.)