[Interest] How to avoid qml engine repeatedly copying and garbage collecting qstringlists?

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Mon Oct 23 19:58:18 CEST 2023

> doesn't QtQuickGuiProvider do the exact same thing with QfontDatabase::families?

Yes, it does. It returns a QStringList. What I mean is that you don't
need a custom C++ base class for your singleton if all you want to do is
expose the font families in pre-wrapped form. The following is enough
for that:

pragma Singleton
import QtQml

QtObject {
     // Qt5:
     property var wrappedFontFamilies5: Qt.fontFamilies()

     // Qt6:
     property list<string> wrappedFontFamilies6: Qt.fontFamilies()
}