[Interest] WebEngineView Redraw / Performance Issues on Windows

Dominik Rau inikofdoom at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 1 10:05:59 CEST 2023

Hi all,

I'm facing terrible issues with WebEngineView on various machines and
hope that maybe someone here can help:

I'm supposed to display a website inside of my Qt application (don't
want to share customer site it here but can be sent off list). It's a
rather easy (from a functional perspective) but fancy React App, blurred
background, a list with checkboxes, hover, email field. The site works
perfectly fine in every browser I tested (edge, ff, ...) on every
hardware mentioned below.

However, it seems that as soon as I put it in a (QML) WebEngineView, the
redraw mechanism fails:

While the background remains visible, the list in the forground
disappears, is redrawn partially, with artifacts, very unperforming or
all at once. Sometimes the blur of the background image disappears (but
disabling the blur doesn't help either)

  I tried with Qt 6.4.1 on OpenGL, 6.5.2 OpenGL and Direct3d and with
current 6.6 beta, I tried various black magic chrome environment
variables like --enable-gpu-rasterization etc. but nothing seems to
help. Best I can get is 6.4.1 with OpenGL but that comes with horrible
performance issues on the intended target hardware (MS Surface 8/9 with
Intel Iris XE).

While OpenGL / Qt 6.4.1 seems to work fine on my (Nvidia) dev machine,
most other issues I just mentioned appear on Intel and on my 1060 Nvidia
machine when using direct3d11 backend.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about web development, but is
there anything I can tell the web developers to do / don't do to get rid
of this? Are there any log settings I can enable to shed some light on
this? Would chrome://gpu be of help for you guys?

Deadline is approaching (fast) so any input would be highly appreciated!

Thanks and kind regards
Dominik