[Interest] QtQuick app fatal DCOM errors (Microsoft Store app)

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at qt.io
Thu Sep 21 14:12:12 CEST 2023

On 21-Sep-23 13:44, Paul Masri-Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a Qt6/CMake app packaged for the Microsoft Store
> (for Windows 10/11 PCs).
>
> Cristian Adam showed me how this can be done for a QtWidgets app on Qt
> 6.5.2, using the Qt Affine example project. I have tested this locally
> and it works fine.
> https://github.com/cristianadam/AffineWindowsStore
> <https://github.com/cristianadam/AffineWindowsStore>
>
> I have created a minimal QtQuick/QML app complete with app manifest
> and associated assets. After running build and install, packaging and
> signing, I have installed this locally. However it does not run properly.
>
> If built with Qt 6.4.3, the Windows splash screen shows and then the
> app crashes. Looking in the Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System,
> there is the error:
> > The server QtExperiment.Qt6-CMake-QML_1.0.0.0_x64__2knhhsfpfy4mw!App
> did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
>
> If built with Qt 6.5.2, the Windows splash screen shows and the app
> shows in a separate window (which it shouldn't). Closing the splash
> screen window does nothing. Closing the app window closes the
> application and also logs the same "Distributed COM" error.
>
> Is this a bug or an error at my end?
>
> For reference, I've put the project, along with README notes on Github:
> https://github.com/paulmasri/Qt6-CMake-QML
> <https://github.com/paulmasri/Qt6-CMake-QML>
>
> Notes:
> 1. Running the app locally from Qt Creator (i.e. no
> package/sign/install) works fine.
> 2. For my real app, I was actually able to upload the signed bundle to
> a Flight Package on the Partner Center, where it passed certification
> and could be downloaded via the Microsoft Store. However it suffers
> the same problems above.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Paul.

In my example I've put a part in the Appxmanifest.xml.in file that has:

   <Capabilities>
     <rescap:Capability Name="runFullTrust" />
   </Capabilities>

This is not present in your example.

I have no idea which part of Qt would require a DCOM call (networking?).
You might want to do a static build of Qt with some things removed, if
you don't want to have the runFullTrust part.

Cheers,
Cristian.