[Interest] App release

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Mar 21 01:43:19 CET 2024

On Wednesday, 20 March 2024 17:27:26 PDT Turtle Creek Software wrote:
> We are ready to release a free alpha version of our accounting app for Mac
> & Windows. The plan is to use LGPL while still in beta, then switch to a
> commercial license and static Qt when it's ready to sell.
>
> Will the switch cause licensing problems?

The LGPL will not cause you legal problems. But you must remember that the
licence you gave to those recipients is irrevocable: they can continue using
it, distributing it and even developing it after you've made your production
release. You may want to think more about your business case here, because
some potential paying customers may decide they don't want to pay you if a
nearly as good version is open source.

You should also check with Qt Company sales what terms they'll sell you a
licence under. In the past, they usually required that you retroactively buy
for the time you spent developing the application.

> How do people usually distribute QT for dynamic linking?  Our users/testers
> are not very tech savvy.

For Mac, it's easy:  use macdeployqt and everything is inside your
application's bundle.

For Windows, you'll need to make an installer to deploy your .exe and all the
Qt libraries and plugins. windeployqt can prepare the installation target, but
the installer itself is up to you. You can use the Qt Installer Framework if
you wish, or something else.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Cloud Engineering